Arathusa Safari Lodge is situated in the northern section of the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, which shares an unfenced boundary with the Kruger National Park. The lodge is well-priced and offers a fantastic Big 5 safari experience. Arathusa overlooks a beautiful dam which attracts plenty of wildlife, allowing you to relax on the deck and watch the animals come to the water to drink.
The lodge has an open plan design with stunning living areas, a rim-flow pool and traditional boma (open-air dining area). The lodge has ten beautiful thatched rooms, most of them with a view over the waterhole. Each unit is air-conditioned and offers a king-size bed, modern en-suite bathroom with inside and outside showers. Twin rooms can also be arranged. In addition, there are four spacious luxury suites which are a bit more secluded from the rest of the lodge, each one with a bush view.
Game drives are conducted each morning and afternoon on open land rovers, with a qualified ranger and tracker. The afternoon game drive continues after dark as a night drive. The Big Five animals are regularly seen on game drives, and Arathusa usually offers good opportunities for leopard sightings. A guided bush walk is also included each day.
Arathusa is an excellent choice if you prefer upmarket accommodation and fantastic game viewing at an affordable rate. The key selling point for this lodge is its position overlooking the waterhole, which means during the dry season there is often wildlife activity right in front of the lodge.
The lodge has received good reviews from our previous clients as well as on Tripadvisor. A while ago there were a few less positive reviews about the food at Arathusa, and we took this up with the owner of the lodge. They immediately took action, improved their menu and their chef, and now we get mostly positive reviews about the food at this lodge. This responsive attitude to guest feedback is one reason why we feel very comfortable recommending Arathusa as a safari destination.
Some more pictures of the lodge:
Our rates are There are no hidden fees or unexpected costs not mentioned below.
The following is INCLUDED:
- Accommodation with air-conditioning and en-suite bathroom
- Three delicious meals daily including all teas and coffees
- Two scheduled game drives daily in an open 4 x 4 safari vehicle, accompanied by an experienced ranger and tracker (about 3 hours each)
- Interactive bush walk with experienced armed ranger
- VAT / Taxes
|May – Aug 2014||ZAR 2,750||ZAR 3,700|
|Sep – Dec 2014||ZAR 3,050||ZAR 4,100|
|Jan – Apr 2014||ZAR 3,300||ZAR 4,300|
|May – Aug 2015||ZAR 3,000||ZAR 3,900|
|Sep – Dec 2015||ZAR 3,300||ZAR 4,300|
Please note the following:
- Rates are quoted per person sharing per night
- Rates are quoted in ZAR (South African Rands)
- Please ask us about rates for single occupancy, we can sometimes negotiate.
The following is excluded
- Flights / transfers to and from the lodge (see below)
- Sabi Sands entry fee (if you drive yourself)
- All drinks
- Government tourism levy (1%)
- Telephone calls, laundry and other personal expenses
- Curio shop purchases
- Gratuities (optional)
- No children under 12 allowed at this lodge.
- Children over 12 pay full adult rate.
Getting to the lodge
- You can book a scheduled flight on SA Airlink from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit Airport
- From Hoedspruit Airport we can arrange a road transfer to the lodge. The trip takes just over an hour.
- Road transfers from Johannesburg can also be arranged. This trip takes about 6 hours
- We can also book you a direct chartered flight from Johannesburg to the lodge’s airstrip.
- You can drive yourself to the lodge. We offer car rental at excellent rates, with unlimited mileage and super insurance cover with no excess.