Simbavati River Lodge is a well-priced, family friendly safari lodge in the famous Timbavati Game Reserve, a Big Five wilderness area which shares an unfenced boundary with the Kruger National Park. Simbavati is the old Gomo Gomo camp, which moved their camp to the nearby Klaserie in early 2009. The lodge overlooks a river and is situated in an excellent area for game viewing. The camp has been completely refurbished, and offers a choice of airconditioned chalets or luxury safari tents.
Why choose Simbavati for your safari?
- Timbavati Game Reserve
- Choice of chalets or safari tents
- Sparkling pool
- Daily big 5 game drives
- Part of the Greater Kruger National Park
- Great for families with children
- Affordable luxury
Simbavati River Lodge is a fantastic safari destination. The main lodge area includes an open deck and dining area, shaded by huge trees and boasting fantastic views over the Nhlaralumi river. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and your hosts Charlie and Elmari along with their friendly staff will go out of their way to make your stay special without being obtrusive.
The lodge offers comfortable thatched chalets with air-conditioning and en-suite bathroom. The two bedroom family units are ideal for families with up to 3 children. Perhaps the most popular accommodation at Simbavati are the luxury safari tents, comfortably equipped with twin beds, air-conditioning and an en-suite bathroom, as well as either an outside shower or an outside bath with a private view over the bush. Each unit overlooks the river, and it is not uncommon to be able to sit on your deck chair and watch elephants or other animals coming down to the river to drink
The game viewing at Simbavati is generally very good. Two game drives per day are included, conducted by experienced rangers and trackers in open land rovers. The afternoon game drive continues after dark as a night drive, using a spotlight to find the reflection of eyes. This is a great way to see nocturnal predators like lions, leopards and hyenas when they are most active. A guided bush walk is possible as an optional extra (not included in the rate)
We were impressed with the food at Simbavati. All meals are included in the rate, and this includes a sumptuous breakfast after the morning game drive, delicious high tea and a three course dining feast in the evening, which is usually enjoyed in the boma around the fire if the weather permits
Simbavati is open the whole year, and there is no bad time to visit this area. During the summer months from November to March the bush is green and lush, birding is excellent and there are a lot of baby animals around which make for entertaining game viewing. During the dry months from April to October the bush is more open, there is less water available and more animals may come to the waterholes, as well as the river right in front of the lodge which has water for most of the year
Simbavati is a relatively new name in the Timbavati but this is a quality game lodge at a very reasonable price, and we have no hesitation in recommending it. The lodge has been extensively upgraded, including the swimming pool, chalets, tents and main lodge area. The lodge is popular with families because of their spacious family chalets and exciting kiddies program. Overall, you can expect a great safari experience at Simbavati.
Simbavati is a relatively new name in the Timbavati but this is a quality game lodge at a very reasonable price, and we have no hesitation in recommending it. The lodge has been extensively upgraded, including the swimming pool, chalets, tents and main lodge area. The lodge is popular with families because of their spacious family chalets and exciting kiddies program. Overall, you can expect a great safari experience at Simbavati
Our rates are full board and we add no booking fee. There are no hidden fees or unexpected costs not mentioned below.
The following is INCLUDED:
- Luxurious accommodation with en-suite bathroom
- All meals including all teas and coffees
- Morning and afternoon/evening game drives in an open 4 x 4 safari vehicle, accompanied by an experienced ranger and tracker
- VAT / Taxes
Please note the following:
- Rates are quoted per person per night sharing
- Please ask us for discounted rates for 3rd and 4th adult sharing a family chalet
- Please ask us about single occupancy rates
- Rates are quoted in ZAR (South African Rands)
- You can convert this to your currency by visiting www.oanda.com
- Special rates may apply from time to time. Please email us to enquire.
The following is excluded
- Telephone calls and personal expenses
- Flights / transfers to and from Simbavati (see below)
- Landing fees (where applicable)
- Timbavati entrance fee
- All drinks
- Optional bush walk (extra cost for bush walk)
- Curio shop purchases
- Gratuities (optional
- Children are welcome at Simbavati and the lodges offers a fantastic children’s program.
- Please ask us about rates and conditions for children.
- You can book a scheduled flight on SA Airlink from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit Airport.
- Transfers can be arranged from Hoedspruit airport to the lodge.
- You can also book a direct chartered flight from Johannesburg to the lodge’s airstrip.
- Please enquire about departure and arrival times.
- Please enquire about road transfers from Johannesburg (this is about a 6-hour scenic trip)
- From Hoedspruit’s Eastgate Airport the transfer takes about 1 hour